Ananda Yoga brings yoga back to its original spiritual essence.
Ananda Yoga emphasizes on inner awareness; energy control; and the experience of each asana as a natural expression of a higher state of consciousness, which is enhanced by the use of affirmations.
What Is the Practice Like?
Yoga posture practice in Ananda Yoga® is gentle for beginning students, becoming more challenging with experience. It is an inwardly directed practice, and is never aggressive or aerobic. The primary emphases are:
- Safety and correct alignment
- Being relaxed at all times, even during the midst of effort
- Working directly with the body’s subtle energy via the yoga postures
- Using the power of the mind to increase and direct subtle energy
- Adaptation – modifying each yoga posture to fit the needs and abilities of the practitioner
What Gives Ananda Yoga Its Transformative Power?
1. The Energization Exercises of Paramhansa Yogananda
We are made of energy. Becoming aware of our energy; learning to direct it at will; and understanding the laws that attract a greater flow of energy, are all essential parts of living a happier life.
Seated Mountain Pose
“My thoughts and energy rise up to touch the sky.”
3. Ways to develop valuable spiritual life skills
Ananda Yoga offers creative ways to awaken and apply your two most valuable faculties—willpower and intuitive feeling—to develop a wide range of skills for the spiritual life: from reducing stress and enhancing health, to improving effectiveness and raising consciousness.
Adho Mukha Svanasana
Downward facing dog pose
” Calmness radiates from every fiber of my being.”